Application to a building envelope component: autonomous smart device
The SMARTBLIND project aims at developing an Energy Efficient Smart Window including a hybrid film constituted of an electrochromic LC film and a photovoltaic film both printed on the same long-lasting flexible substrate. The realization process will be implemented thanks to electrochromic and photovoltaic inks especially formulated to be ink-jet printed.
A reduction of the windows U-value down to 0.3 W/m².K is targeted by combining the hybrid film to an appropriate window frame. An important part of the SmartBlind project will furthermore be devoted to the related parts, such as connectors and film control, sustainability, life cycle and recyclability.
More particularly, the SmartBlind consortium has defined 4 main objectives:
- To reduce weight by 50% compared to glass window, while offering transparency and flexibility.
- To improve the optical response time of windows while enabling the switching of large panes.
- To integrate an electronic control system with an embedded power source.
To guarantee a low-cost industrial solution adaptable to large and shaped surfaces. The main steps of the work plan include:
- Basic materials: substrate treatment, formulation of electrochromic and photovoltaic inks to be adapted to ink jet printing.
- Printing process.
- Simulation and building integration.
- Mechanical tests, ageing and Life Cycle Assessments.
- Proof of concept.
Expected energy savings will be examined. Producing the hybrid flexible film and the windows (simple or multiple panes) will allow reaching new building market as well as renovation market. The consortium is SME driven. Universities and research centers as well as end user support the research part.
Project Budget: 5'221'178 €
LEITAT Budget: 406'600 €
Financial Framework: FP7
Contract number: 314454
Start Date: 01/09/2012
End Date: 31/08/2015
|FUNDACAO DA FACULDADE DE CIENCIAS E TECNOLOGIA DAUNIVERSIDADE NOVA DE LISBOA.||Portugal|
|DEUTSCHE INSTITUTE FUR TEXTIL- UND FASERFORSCHUNGDENKENDORF||Germany|
|VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL||Belgium|
|A CATEDRAL - CARPINTERIA MARCENARIA LDA||Portugal|
|COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIESALTERNATIVES||France|
|TERMOGLASS CIV SRL*TERMO||Romania|
|ACONDICIONAMIENTO TARRASENSE ASSOCIACION||Spain|
|FCC CONSTRUCCION SA||Spain|
|Kurt Salmon France SAS||France|