The consortium led by COWI was awarded a contract by the Directorate-General for the Environment (European Commission) for the Recovery of Obsolete Vessels not used in Fishing Trade.
The sudy is focused specifically on:
- Update existing information about ship dismantling for ships covered, or not, by the Hong Kong Convention and for abandoned vessels.
- Complete it by collecting information about the dismantling conditions of ships not covered by the scope of the Hong Kong Convention and abandoned vessels.
- Identify the best practices in term of ship dismantling and waste management of these ships and document them in a user friendly manner.
- Identify possible shortcomings (legal, technical, financial) in terms of dismantling of these ships and propose options to address these shortcomings
- Quantify the environmental, social and economical impacts of options to overcome possible shortcomings and rank them.
Start Date: 01/12/2010
End Date: 31/10/2011